Is it just me, but oh, how hard the news is to listen to right now. It seems we’re being fed a constant stream of people out to save their careers, to further their careers… etc etc.
So to get rid of the nasty taste in my mouth, I sat down with my journal today and made a list of 50 things I could do to help other people – some small, some requiring more of a commitment. I’m sharing it, not because I’m a busybody and think you should be doing all these things, but because I enjoyed writing it so much. By the time I’d got a third of the way through, I was feeling better about the world. Not least because every time I looked up a different link, I realised how many good people there are in the world, even if they don’t all appear on our news channels. Also I discovered several links in my very personal list, which are…
- Helping others can mean taking risks and this is good as it takes me out of my comfort zone.
- Start small – it would be easy for me to get overwhelmed by trying to do EVERYTHING!
- Be sensitive – not everyone wants to be ‘helped’ or not in the way I think they need, anyway.
- Think hard about where I care, and put my energy there.
and most importantly:
- Remember to enjoy it!
So here’s my list… I’d love to see yours.
50 thingsI could do to help other people
- Take a bag of good stuff to a local charity shop.
- Send a book you love to someone you love as a surprise.
- Sign a petition about something you care about. https://www.change.org
- If there isn’t one, then start a petition about something you care about.
- Use your voice to become an advocate – https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/advocacy/#.W36tMJNKj8A
- Support a Kickstarter project which shares your values – https://www.kickstarter.com/
- Donate work clothes for a woman in need – http://smartworks.org.uk/get-involved/
- Pick up litter.
- Give food to your local food bank.
- Write to your MP about a local issue that affects your whole community.
- Let someone talk to you today – and listen properly.
- Allow someone get to that seat before you.
- Use social media for good.
- Put some flowers in your window, or a beautiful card – let your home make someone smile.
- Pass on your experience, and do some research where you could be a mentor such as http://arts-emergency.org/
- Put out water for animals.
- Organise a local get together and encourage people in your community to meet each other – https://www.meetup.com/
- Read at your local primary school – https://www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/
- Take a dog for a walk – https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/
- Be a volunteer gardener at your local park.
- Write to a prisoner of conscience – https://www.amnesty.org/en/get-involved/write-for-rights/
- Join the Good Gym – https://www.goodgym.org/
- Smile at a stranger.
- Give out flowers at a train station.
- Teach a refugee English – https://www.refugee-action.org.uk/can-help-refugees-learn-english/
- Send a card and chocolate to someone going through a hard time.
- Write a fan letter to someone you admire, let them know how they have made a difference for you.
- Pay it forward at a coffee shop.
- Start training for a sponsored event.
- Help older people who feel lonely – https://www.thesilverline.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering/
- Give a book you’ve enjoyed to a rough sleeper – https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/what-books-mean-to-rough-sleepers-and-the-library-that-helps-them/
- Support your local community café – https://www.moneycrashers.com/community-cafes/
- Give a genuine compliment to a stranger
- Write a letter to a stranger in need – http://www.moreloveletters.com/
- Use your car to help someone – http://www.imago.community/Community-Services/Dial2Drive
- Be a little kinder whenever you can today.
- Cook someone a special treat.
- Volunteer at your local park run – http://www.parkrun.org.uk/howtovolunteer/
- Give packets of sanitary towels to your local food bank.
- Leave a book on a bench with a nice note.
- Donate £10 to a local charity.
- Organise a skills share.
- Research and read up about charities in your area – https://localgiving.org/search/
- Type up poems you love and leave them for people to read.
- Be a little more sensitive to others’ needs today.
- Take part in a nature survey – https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/conservation/centre-for-conservation-science/working-with-us/surveys/
- Befriend someone, make the commitment – https://www.befriending.co.uk/
- Train to be a Samaritan – https://www.samaritans.org/
- Donate blood – https://www.blood.co.uk/
- Make your own list of 50 things you can do for others.
One response to “50 Things To Do To Help Other People Today”
Follow my blog
Come and write with me
News of my forthcoming workshops can be found here.